Saturday, July 23, 2011

scenic + pastoral + coastal + historic



Hello! Planned visits from family combined with a few deadlines sort of sneaked up on me and I have been on an unintentional blogging break. Last week was a sister-visit and next week will be more sister-time followed by seeing my in-laws. We've been having a nice time daytripping around the Ocean State.


Tiverton Four Corners

In efforts to be succint, I have to say that most of the towns we visited could be described using the same words: scenic, pastoral, coastal, historic. Grab a cup of your favorite drink while I give you a little tour. As for me, it's iced coffee in a mason jar. Let's begin!



Our first destination was Tiverton, a beautiful town that is part of a region called FarmCoast, where views of stone walls, farms and beaches are typical but never taken-for-granted. We had a casual dinner by the water at Evelyn's, a place featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. We even ordered lobster chow mein sandwiches just like the show's host Guy Fieri had. (Next time: the lobster BLT!)



By the time we arrived at Tiverton Four Corners, all of the galleries and shops were closed but local fave Gray's Ice Cream was open for a scoop of homemade ice cream enjoyed alongside a small cow pasture.


Imagine Gift Store

The next day, we were off to Warren for some shopping and a festival along the East Bay.


Quahog Festival


The Wooden Midshipman Shopping on Water Street


Warren Town Beach



Another day we headed to the southern part of "Little Rhody" to Wickford.


Turn left for shopping!


Big GASP over this minty fresh piece!




The Porch: Dash & Albert rugs, painted lanterns and bells! Prior location & visit.


Dreamy!


Bowen's Wharf, Newport

The final day of one sister's visit concluded with a trip to Newport for more scenic, coastal and historic shopping and dining. [Supposedly we witnessed designer Carolina Herrera boarding a yacht.]


Bristol

Well, that about wraps things up for now. With more family visits to come this week and a writing deadline or two, I may again be a bit absent from blogging but I'll be sure to bring my camera along to share even more of my beloved state.


Official State Drink

[Please note that no boys were made to go into too many gift shops. Beach scenes not included.]

Hope you're having fun too!

xo
elyse

23 comments:

Gem said...

Gorgeous photos, looks like you had a lovely time xxx

loveandlilac said...

You live in a beautiful part of the US, one I've yet to visit. Enjoy the time with your family xx

Jo said...

I was born in Newport snd gre up Mass/RI area and you made me homesick...esp fro Gray Ice Cream!

Suz said...

It's good to see you back. Thanks, Elyse, for the beautiful tour. I have only spent a year in that park of the country and it is so different from my Midwestern life. Seeing these pictures makes me want to return.
Fondly,
Suz

Blondie's Journal said...

I'd love to visit Rhode Island, I know so little about it and I always imagined it as quaint as it looks in your pictures! I love the Imagine Shop!

XO,
Janie

birdie blue said...

welcome back, elyse. you've been missed. it looks like you had lots of fun, love all of your beautiful pics.

i'm dying over that minty fresh glass cabinet.

xo
~molly

NanaDiana said...

I was thinking about you when I sat down to catch up -thinking I hadn't seen you here in a while...and, well, here you are! I am so glad that you are having fun with family this summer. Soemtimes the best trips are the ones closest to home and heart! xo Diana

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

Loved everything about this post! Especially the Autocrat Coffee Syrup. YUM :)

Love,
A exiled Rhode Islander (Jamestown) living in Ohio!

aimee said...

what an amazing time you had! i loved looking at the places you all visited. even more special when you get to share it with people you love :)
blessings,
aimee

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

You are so fortunate to have such scenic areas to visit right in your own back yard. Enjoy your family time. Best wishes, Tammy

Kit said...

Oh I so want to go shopping there! And eat a big ole lobster! Thanks for the mini-vacation. Kit

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Elyse!

Looks like you are having a very fulfilling summer! Just how it is suppose to be. How fun to be so lose to the ocean and look at all those darling shops! Continue to enjoy your summer while working on dead~lines!

Love,
Maryjane
xox

Theresa said...

Looks like a wonderful trip to take! There is no better way to see all of this beauty than to share with a Sister!

Love that mint green cabinet... I think it would have to come home with me to Georgia:)

Enjoy your day sweet Elyse! BIG HUGS!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful Elyse. I have never been to Warren, but I go to Bristol all the time. It looks like it's close by. I love that gift shop. Newport is always a favorite. Your photographs are lovely.
Karen

Anonymous said...

I've never been to your part of the country, so this was a lot of fun for me! Thanks for bringing us along, Elyse! :)
Hugs,
Zuzu

Sugar Pink Boutique said...

What a lovely tour thank you so much for sharing and the photos are so beautiful!! xo

Karla | www.misskarla.com said...

wow, gorgeous photos! i wanna got there :):)

permanent magenta said...

Hooray Rhode Island! Wonderful photos. You've captured summer.

Bring Pretty Back said...

Elyse, It sounds like you are having a great summer!
Coffee syrup - i have never heard of it
Have a PRETTY day!
Kristin

koralee said...

Oh what a sweet little town...I love love those Eastern US towns...so adorable!
Hope your Summer is going well my friend...mine is speeding by. xoxoxo
Hugs.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i just LOVE the east coast...i enjoyed it all....

kary and teddy
xx

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

boo hoo... i didn't get to do my usual day trip while in westport :( i also was hoping to squeeze in a visit with you :( thank you for the beautiful pictures that trigger such happy memories for me. i hope all is well potsie and i hope your family time was well spent : )

Katy Noelle said...

I just love your "neck of the woods", Elyse. I miss the seashore. I'm hoping (fingers seriously crossed) that, maybe, I can convince my family to visit mystic this coming fall. I haven't smelled salt air for a few years, now, and it's breaking my heart (sea pup that I am!) In the meantime, having said this, you'll, now, understand that I just sigh and live vicariously through you, okay?=]